Hey, I’m Crystel with an ‘e’! I’m a regular stay-at-home mom that loves crafting, building, making healthy food, organizing, and restoring furniture. I honestly had no idea how much I loved DIY’ing and interior design until I became a stay at home mom just over a year ago, but I have found that I am truly passionate about beautifying in general, especially my living space. I am married to my very handsome and wonderful husband Stuart who has just begun medical school and I get to stay at home all day with our chunky, adorable little 1 year old daughter Evelyn.
HOW WE MET
Stuart and I met in Provo, Utah while he was attending BYU and I was attending Cosmetology school. I went out to my car on a rainy wet day to go somewhere and found a note on my windshield saying “Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but here’s my number, so call me, definitely. -Stuart” Since he didn’t leave his last name I couldn’t facebook stalk him so what was I to do?? I figured if he was brave enough to leave a note then I would be brave enough to text him and meet up somewhere (in a safe, public place of course, with company 🙂 ) As it turns out he lived in my same apartment complex in the next building over and since my parking spot was right in front of his window he had seen me on several occasions going to and from my car. I guess he thought he wanted to meet the blonde girl driving the Mazda 3, and it turned out to be the beginning of our forever.
I’ll be honest, I was mildly interested after the first date, at least enough to consider a second. But for whatever reason I just wasn’t as attracted to him as I thought I should be if he was going to be my future husband. But, he persisted just long enough for me to get my act together and we continued dating. You wanna know something crazy? A few weeks in we discovered that my oldest sister was roommates with his mom at BYU years and years before and they still kept in touch! We later found photos of his mom at my parents house with some of my siblings on her lap. It also turns out that he had been to my house in southern Utah when he was 10 years old. Weeeiiiirrrddd.
This was shortly after we started dating, front row at an Andy Grammer concert. A couple of babies right there if you ask me.
Stuart and I had a long distance relationship the summer after we started dating because he had gone to California to do summer sales and I had to stay and work. At the end of the dreadfully long summer he was driving back from California to Utah and wanted me to meet him in southern Utah where my parents lived to meet up with my family and so we could do a hike or two in Zion National Park.
We decided to hike Angel’s Landing, a popular hike in Zion, and when we got to the top we were admiring the beautiful views. Stuart began telling me all the things he loved about me, as per usual, and then asked my brother who was with us to take a photo. My brother had actually started taking a video with an inkling of what was about to happen, and sure enough, Stuart knelt down, whipped the ring box out of his pocket, and just as he was about to say the words I had been waiting to hear all my life we heard a “tink… tink… tink…” that was the sound of the ring bouncing out of the box and toward the edge of the 1,000 foot precipice. Stuart dove and caught it before he or the ring went off the edge (thankfully!) and promptly finished his proposal. It has certainly made for quite the story!
OUR LITTLE FAMILY
We were married for about a year and a half by the time we had our sweet little baby girl Evelyn and she is the best thing that could have happened to us. At about 4 months old she did some serious chunkin’ out and now we’ve got so much more baby to love!
If you feel so inclined to continue reading… here are some fairly random and mildly-interesting facts about me!
- I come from a wonderfully large family of 16 kids (all biological!) and my husband is the oldest of 11 kids!
Do you know what that means?? It means that our kids will have a total of 50 different people they will call “Aunt” or “Uncle” once all of our siblings are married. 50, people. FIVE. ZERO. That’s nuts!
- I grew up on a little farm in Southern Utah where we raised all of our own everything so my parents could feed us all and give us some good hard work to do. Three shouts for homegrown tomatoes! Hip! Hip!
- I got my cosmetology license, and I LOOOOOVE doing hair. Balayaging, melting, and ombre’s are my specialty and I made quite a decent living out of doing it that put Stuart through his last year of his undergrad.
- My name is spelled with an “e” because my dad accidentally spelled it wrong on my birth certificate. At least it’s unique, right?
- I have 3 nieces that are older than me. I have been roommates with several of them and for some reason their friends always thought it was weird when they would ask if they could bring their Aunt to the party. #whatsupwiththat ?
- I have 92 nieces and nephews, and counting.
- I am a serious health enthusiast, doing my best to stick to the diet our ancestors and people unassociated with modern civilization used to eat.
- I have a really hard time keeping my clothes clean — just ask my husband. If we’re eating something that drips, (or even something that doesn’t), ten times out of nine it will drip right onto my shirt. There’s no helpin’ it. I think I’ll ask Tide to sponsor me ’cause I’m seriously the one that keeps them in business.
- I believe that there are 3 kinds of people in this world: those who are good at math and those who aren’t.
- I play a mean game of Settlers of Catan and Acquire, and am the reigning family Scum champion.
- I am a nerdy lover of Lord of the Rings. Don’t even try to play me in a game of Lord of the Rings Trivial Persuit or I will own you and your firstborn. Also I’m fairly competitive when it comes to boardgames, (if you couldn’t tell) although I do make a conscious effort to tone it down.
- I’m all about inviting friends from one area of my life to come with me to hang out with friends from another area of my life. I just want all of my friends to love each other! And sometimes they do. Like, literally. I have on several occasions introduced friends that eventually married each other.
- I am a sucker for Butterfingers, and pretty much any food that has refined sugar in it. #Balance
- I’m a big time volleyballer. I played in High School and as much as I can when occasion allows.
- I’ve got a MAJOR travel bug. Like, major. My poor husband doesn’t quite know how to curb it.
- I love God, I love Jesus Christ, I love my church, and I have a firm belief that doing your best to serve, love others, keep God’s commandments and share your talents is the best way to be happy.
Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope that I can help in some way to make your home the beautiful, comfortable sanctuary that homes were meant to be.